Thursday, May 23, 2013

Skilled Artisans


Hi Friend! How is your week going? We need to count our blessings and not complain about the rain. My thoughts and prayers are for the victims and first responders in Moore, OK. Is it me or are things really spiraling out of control as far as weather is concerned?

Will be a seat

The first picture above is my friend and next door neighbor's wall being constructed. When I heard how much it is costing her, I nearly went apoplectic! I mean it is rocks for Pete's sake. Do you know how much it is to buy rocks? Not to mention the labor to install. It is a LOT if money.


In order to make their backyard more kid friendly, they had to first level the ground with a bobcat and then build a retaining wall.

But of course, who could have predicted that we would be paying for water to drink? It would have seemed laughable 30 years ago.

My mother, God rest her soul, used to laugh when people started selling soil....dirt! It does seem strange to me still.


Going next door to check on their progress, I developed a new appreciation for this skill of laying rocks. First of all, the mortar must be just the right consistency or it will not hold.



The precision of chiseling each rock to fit perfectly is not an easy task.


This young man was taught his skill by his father and has been laboring for 10 years in this industry.


Do you see the variations of tones in the rock? Placing them randomly makes a more interesting sight, don't you think?


Tap, tap, tap....until it is the right shape and size. Sometimes it takes about 10 minutes to get the rock the way he wants it.





At first I was going to do all the photos in black and white but then when noticing the color variations, changed my mind.

Now i can see the value of the skilled artisans here. I will post the final result when it is finished. Thanks for looking!

May the peace, love and happiness of the Lord, Jesus, be with you today and always!


10 comments:

From the Kitchen said...

Oh goodness! I wish you could see my neighbor's back yard. It is huge and now has waterfalls and streams and much more. The cost? Just over a million dollars!!
I have to wonder if they will ever recoup that cost if, and when, they sell their house!!

Best,
Bonnie

Thistle Cove Farm said...

It's beautiful and masonry work is becoming a lost art and skill. Yes, it's costly but it's also beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Tungsten's compound is also much denser in comparison with what steel or titanium. This particular most popular pennie alloys are that this stainless steel metals.

My blog post ... biuro detektywistyczne

Chatty Crone said...

I pray for Oklahoma too. And those rocks are gorgeous, but I know very very costly! sandie

Donna said...

Wow and double Wow! What a little artist! Great work...
I need him to come build me a new mailbox!
Happy weekend Charlotte!!
hughugs

Barbara Shallue said...

It's going to be gorgeous. And fitting rock together like that truly is an art. I've been watching my husband lay them for walkways, patios, etc. It's amazing!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

You are right about the cost of things we never thought about costing so much, Charlotte. In your neighbor's new wall example, the artisan's skill is undoubtedly well worth the expense. You are able to appreciate those talents and share without the cost.

Lisa Gordon said...

Charlotte, this is wonderful, and I think it is truly one of those arts that is becoming a thing of the past. How fortunate you were to be able to photograph them working.

Thank you for sharing!

Tree Hugger - Suzan said...

Hi Charlotte!!
I'm so glad you posted this!! I love stone walls. Would love to have my house built like this too! It is an art to set the rocks and colors of the rocks and shapes and size and texture into the wall! Your neighbors will have a lovely back yard!!

Tammy@Simple Southern Happiness said...

And to think I paid that much for a crappy red brick wall... I think I got taken... I bet that wall is lovely when it rains, all the colors will show up.

Hope you are doing okay!!