Thursday, January 5, 2012

My table reveal!



Hi Everyone! And happy Thursday to you all!

I was given this end table by my good friend, Paula. It was in terrible shape and sadly
 I deleted the photos showing the befores. It has been forever in finishing this, sometimes the weather got in the way. As you may know, if it is too cold or too humid...not a good time to paint.

My resolution for 2012 is to be more careful in recording the steps of the process.

Believe me when I say that it was awful. All scratched and dirty with spider eggs hiding inside the doors. But a good cleaning took care of that.

1. First step was to remove all the hardware...makes it easier to sand it.

2. Starting with a 80 grit sandpaper and a palm sander, I sanded down most of the scratches, top, sides, doors.

3. Switch to a finer grit, like 150-220 and smooth out the wood. If you run your hand over it, you will not feel any rough spots.
4. Now you need to remove all the sanded particles by using a tack cloth. They are very sticky and pick up all the dust. Once you  have it cleaned, you are ready to paint.

5. I had some Old White Annie Sloan chalk paint, but not enough. So i went to Lowe's and had them try to match it. Didn't really match that well, had a lot more yellow in it than Old White. But I got it anyway and painted the table with it, sanding between the two coats.

6. I transferred words on it, using graphite paper.I used the Chopin script font, which is one of my favorites.

7. New to me, I tried Mod Podge to adhere some pretty graphics from  Graphics Fairy.
 It worked pretty well, I guess, for my first time. But I am not sure that decoupaging is for me. But I will give it another try. Don't ask me why I chose bird graphics, especially owls. I just thought they were pretty, I guess.

8. Last of all I finished the table by putting a coat of water based polyurethane on it.



top with love bird graphic


Right door panel

Left door panel
 What do you think? What would you have done differently? I am still learning and having fun but would appreciate some constructive critiques.

Thanks for stopping by...so nice to see you!

♥charlotte

Linking to: Common Ground - Vintage Inspiration Friday  
French Country Cottage - Feather Nest Friday 
At the Picket Fence - Inspiration Friday 
2805 - Potpourri Friday
The Charm of Home - Home Sweet Home
My Repurposed Life - Catch as Catch Can



Photobucket"


15 comments:

Tammy said...

Well hey there southern neighbor. Thanks for stopping by my blog and your kind comments. It is amazing how close in vicinity a lot of bloggers are.
I love your table. Very talented I must say. I am not that daring with paint.
Ok off to read more of your blog.
tammy

Barbara said...

Thank you so much for sharing your process. I love the table - I think for me, the birds are too much. I love the words on the top, though. You did a beautiful job! Happy New Year! I'm going to try to do a better job keeping up with my favorite bloggers this year!

Lisa Gordon said...

Charlotte, this is absolutely beautiful!
One can see the love that went into this.

Gail Dixon said...

I am finally back from my blog break. How I have missed you! I am amazed at the beautiful job you did on this table! It's so colorful and happy. I love that font, too. Birds are dear to my heart, so this is right up my ally. Hope 2012 is a blessed one for you!!

Tammy@Simple Southern Happiness said...

I think its perfect and will sure brighten up a room. Love decopodge, its for those that cant paint.

I think you gave this old table new life!

hootnonny said...

It's awesome Charlotte. It's okay with me that the paint's a bit different, as I don't do matchy-matchy or perfect! :)

happyone said...

You did a great job. It is beautiful!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Well you know that owls are all the rage right now! You did a beautiful job on your table!

Cassie Bustamante said...

isn't mod podge awesome! you did a great job with it!

My Beautiful World said...

This is stunning. So nice to meet you just found your beautiful blog and so happy I did. I have enjoyed looking around and I'm now following you, wonderful to meet new friends. Hope you find a spare minute to visit and follow me sometime if you like. Sending you special wishes for a wonderful New Year I’m looking forward to keeping in touch in 2012.
Always Wendy

Gayle Page-Robak said...

Your table is outstanding. You did a beautiful job and it is truly unique. I am now a follower of your blog and look forward to return visits. I invite you to join me as well at http://atastefultouch.blogspot.com

A Few Pennies said...

Adorable table--I see this style of table at the resale shops--thank you for inspiring--gorgeous redo (that owl is my favorite image!). Have a great week.

A Few Pennies said...

Adorable table--I see this style of table at the resale shops--thank you for inspiring--gorgeous redo (that owl is my favorite image!). Have a great week.

hootnonny said...

Love your new banner and page. You must share how you did it!

The Charm of Home said...

Wonderful job! Thank you for linking it to Home Sweet Home!
Sherry