Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Chopped Apple Bread





Hi Sugar Plum! Are you having a good week? I hope so. Or are you hustling and bustling getting your holiday chores done in a frenzy? Not me. I am not in a panic.....yet. Ha!

It is overcast and feels like snow here in Georgia so I am staying in and making bread today.

Although I adapted this recipe from Bernard Clayton's recipe in his book, I also found the recipe online here.






CHOPPED APPLE BREAD
Yield: 2 medium loaves; 12 servings
About 6 to 7 cups bread flour or all-purpose flour, divided
2 envelopes active dry yeast (4 1/2 teaspoons)
1 tablespoon salt
2 1/2 cups hot milk (120 to 130 degrees)
3 tablespoons shortening
2 cups apples, cut in 3/4-inch cubes
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces 
Grated zest of one orange
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
Step 1: Grease 2 medium (8-by-4-inch) loaf pans. (If using nonstick pans, line the bottom of the pans with buttered waxed paper or parchment paper.)
Step 2: In a mixing bowl, combine 3 cups flour, yeast, salt and dry milk. Pour in hot water, and stir in shortening. Using a wooden spoon and strong strokes,
beat the batter 100 times. Add flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until the dough can be lifted from the bowl and placed on a work surface. 


(Alternately, beat with the dough hook of an electric stand mixer for 2 minutes, then add flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until the dough forms a ball around the dough hook as it revolves. The dough should rise along with the dough hook when the head of the mixer is lifted.)
Step 3: Turn the dough onto the work surface; knead with a push-turn-fold rhythm. The dough will become elastic and smooth. If it is sticky, add sprinkles of flour.
(Or knead with the electric mixer for 10 minutes. If soft dough clings to the bottom third of the bowl, add flour. Ideally, a spot of dough about the size of a 50-cent piece should adhere to the bottom, indicating that the dough is
neither too wet nor too dry.) 


Step 4: Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and set aside to double in volume, about 1 hour.
Step 5: Punch down the dough; place it on the floured work surface. Roll and press the dough into an 18-inch square, about 1/2 inch thick. Let the dough rest for a few moments. Transfer to a cutting board. 

Step 6: Spread chopped apples uniformly over the surface of the dough. Pour beaten eggs over the apples. Add nuts and orange zest.
Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. 


Fold the dough into a package. 


Step 7: Using a dough scraper , chop the dough mixture randomly into pieces about 1 inch in size. Uniformity is of no great consequence.


 When the dough has been well chopped, toss or scoop the pieces into the prepared loaf pans, filling each two-thirds full. 


Step 8: Cover the pans with waxed paper or parchment paper; let rise until the dough reaches slightly above the edge, about 40 minutes.
Step 9: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees (325 degrees if using a convection oven). Bake until loaves are a rich golden brown, about 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and dry. (If necessary, shield the loaves with foil in last 10 minutes to prevent over browning.)
Step 10: Carefully turn out the hot bread onto a wire rack to cool. (It will be somewhat fragile while hot.) Slice and serve. It goes fast!

Enjoy!


Remember the reason for the season!
May the peace of Our Lord, Jesus Christ, be with you today and always!


13 comments:

Donna said...

Ohhh Goodness...licking the screen here...Hahahaaa
Now I need coffee!!
Sweet day girlfriend!
hughugs

Richard Cottrell said...

Sounds good, would be a treat all nice and warm from the oven, I am having Butter beans for supper. Richard from My old Historic Hoouse

Lisa Gordon said...

Charlotte, you have no idea how timely this is!
Just today, I was trying to decide what to serve for Christmas breakfast. I try to do something different each year, and this, my friend, will be "it" for this year. It looks so yummy, and is absolutely perfect for what I had in mind. Thank you SO much for sharing this!
I wish you a wonderful Holiday season.
xo.

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

It looks delicious Charlotte, both in the making and the finished product. Cold weather is perfect for baling.

Suzan said...

Oh Charlotte,
It must smell heavenly in your house right now --- I'll save this and try it over the Christmas Holiday!! Now you've made me hungry!!

hootnonny said...

This looks heavenly!

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

That looks absolutely delicous!
How clever! I think maybe even I could make this!

Thanks for sharing.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Echoing the sentiments of previous commenters on how wonderful this apple bread looks, Charlotte. I was wondering how long it wold keep. Since there are only 2 in our household we could quickly devour one, but would want to savor it...would it be better to half the recipe and make a single loaf if it will not store well?

Debbie said...

Not only delicious, but pretty! I've never seen this recipe and it looks like a keeper! Enjoy the Blessed Christmas season!
Debbie

Gail Dixon said...

Despite my distaste for apples, this looks scrumptious. I have been in the frenzy camp lately and I'm about to embark on a trip to Dallas tomorrow. Hopefully when Christmas arrives I will have time to rest. If it snows, I hope you'll get some pics for us. :)

Tammy@Simple Southern Happiness said...

I bet this smells yummy all through the house. I will have to try this one day. Hope your week will be a good one.

Tammy@Simple Southern Happiness said...

Forgot, My Kitchen Aid mixer is colbalt blue.... I love it. Its was even on TV once when a lady I worked for part time showed how to make cheesecakes. So my mixer is a celeb.

Barbara said...

Oh, that looks so good! It would make a wonderful gift, too, I'm sure!