Friday, February 14, 2014

Bacon and St. Valentine's Day


Raise your hand if you love bacon!! I thought so. Does anyone not like bacon? Many years I deluded myself into thinking that turkey bacon was all I needed. Not!There is nothing like the aroma and taste of real bacon.

You may be wondering what bacon has to do with Valentine's Day. Well, it doesn't exactly. As you see in the above picture, bacon is featured in the latest Food Network Magazine. I mean, everything is made with bacon or looks like it anyway.

Today, being Valentine's Day, my good friend, Janice, is running a baked goods fund raiser for The March of Dimes at Kennestone Hospital where she works as a Neonatal Intensive Care nurse.
Every year I make a few batches of my giant crisp chocolate cookies. But in addition, I made a batch with butterscotch morsels and BACON BITS. Yes, that is right. And from talking to Jan this morning, they are a big hit. And hubby Jim loves them.

I am giving you my recipe for a valentine's present to you. I hope you like them!


Crispy butterscotch bacon cookies 


 Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Ready In: 35 Minutes
 Submitted By: Charlotte Wilson
Cook Time: 23 Minutes
Servings: 24

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups Butterscotch morsels
1 cup chopped bacon bits ( I use the package of real bacon bits to save time.)

Directions:
1.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Mix flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
 2.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, then stir in the vanilla. Mix in the dry ingredients until well blended. Stir in the butterscotch chips and bacon bits. Scoop the dough with a  2 inch ice cream scoop and place them 3 inches apart onto a parchment lined cookie sheet.
 3.
Bake for 20 to 23 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

What do you think of Valentine's Day? It used to make me anxious and sad if I didn't have a special someone in my life. 

Being blessed with a wonderful and considerate husband, we celebrate our love almost every day that he is home. This morning as usual, he got up before me and made the coffee, fluffed up my pillows on my living room chair and folded my lap blanket. For the 3 days that we were snowed in, he brought in firewood and had a beautiful fire to keep us warm. It doesn't get better than that for me.


 
 Peace and love of Jesus to you today and always!




9 comments:

hootnonny said...

Happy Valentine's Day, Charlotte. I do love bacon, and am considering the no sugar/no starch eating plan that allows it! Considering is the operative word!

Stay warm...I'm still snowed in. It's in the 40s but nothing seems to be melting!

Tammy@Simple Southern Happiness said...

Nothing burps as good as bacon!~

It sounded iffy but if they are a hit at the bakesale and hubby likes them, then bravo gal!

I will have to try these... YEP~

HOPE your V day is special and a day where you can eat sugar and not gain weight. Hubby bought me giant cupcakes.... I am doomed as I do not like the icing, I scrape that off and just eat the cake part..... I feel the pounds adding on my hips and stomach as I type. I know mowing the lawn will burn off sweets...but we still have snow. What to do????

GOD bless you and have a sun filled day!

Tammy@Simple Southern Happiness said...

OH!! and does your hubby have single brothers? I know folks will be getting in line to snatch them up.
YOU are BLESSED!!!!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Charlotte, happy valentine's day and love the recipe. Yep, I love bacon but haven't had it in weeks. Maybe today is the day, eh?

Rosemary Aubut said...

On a gluten free dairy free diet right now! However, should I fall off the wagon and feel so inclined to bake this recipe will be first on my list! I can smell them already!

Gail Dixon said...

YUM! Love savory and sweet together. This sounds delicious. Thank you for sharing! Hope you had a lovely Valentine's Day!

An Oasis in the Desert said...

First, thank you for stopping by my blog. I, too, get busy with other things & time slips by. It was nice to hear from you.

We do love bacon, & I use it a lot in recipes but have never tried anything in the dessert category with bacon. Hmmm?

Lisa Gordon said...

Huge smiles as I read this, Charlotte. I have not tried it with butterscotch chips, but I do make chocolate chip cookies with bacon in them, from time to time. Love at first bite if you're a bacon and chocolate lover. I am!

Happy day to you!!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Charlotte, now I know what go do with the package of butterscotch morsels we have in the pantry. pat is a huge bacon fan as well; I confess to eating turkey bacon as well, but not exclusively. We both have loving mates, how fortunate for that blessing. Belated Hearts Day greetings go you and Jim.